A scenic circular walk offering a nice mix of woodland and open downs. The views from Windy Ridge – about halfway through the walk – are truly spectacular, as are the views from the top of Barpham Hill, a little further on. The walk then sweeps down through beautiful open landscape, before a final climb back to the start. A good choice for winter, as much of the route is on tracks or grassland, so no mud to worry about.
6mi / 9.7km
Start / finish
Between Angmering and Arundel there is a right turn to Blakehurst off the A27 opposite the Poling turn off. Proceed up the narrow, twisty tarmac lane to the parking area at the top.
- From the parking area on Blakehurst Lane, walk up the track towards the big green barn.
- Soon you’ll enter the woods – join the main tarmac lane (1) and don’t leave it.
- About halfway along, after a crossroads (go straight on (2)), the tarmac turns to a track.
- Keep on this track until you reach a T junction, and take the left turn (3).
- Stay on this track, passing some beehives on the left, and keep straight on.
- Soon you’ll pass through a gate, marking the start of Windy Ridge, and fantastic views to your right. About two thirds of the way along is a bench – a good spot for a rest.
- Keep following the path until a gate. Go through, bearing left upwards for a few yards, then take the next right (4), through another gate.
- This track takes you to the top of Barpham Hill (you’ll soon pass a trig point on your left). Keep on it as it winds down through a small copse and a gate, and then keep on the thin path (5) as it descends down to a gate.
- After passing through the gate, turn left (6) and pass through another gate a few yards on, then just follow the path all the way down as it curves and undulates through the folds in the hills. About halfway down you’ll pass through another gate.
- Eventually you’ll reach an iron gate at the very bottom, after a couple of small ups and downs. After passing through, keep more-or-less straight on, but take the righthand path (7).
- A few yards later, take the path dropping down to the right (8).
- Keep straight on until you reach a T junction – bear left (9) and soon the track starts to climb. Keep on it as it goes up and then swings round to the left, and the last downward stretch will take you back to where you parked.
The numbered images below correspond to the above directions.