A lovely walk by Swanbourne Lake and extending into Arundel Park, returning via the town. Easy to follow footpaths and no stiles. Some inclines up to the tower. Good views. Great in spring and summer to see the cygnets and ducklings, but good any time of year.
3mi / 4.8km
Start / finish
Mill Road (next to lake)
- Enter the lakeside area through the gate (1). There are facilities here for drinks and ice creams. You can also buy food to feed the waterfowl!
- Follow the lake and where the path diverges, keep right (2). You will see the folly – Hiorne Tower – high above to your left.
- Gradually the path opens up into views of Arundel Park. At another obvious path junction turn sharp left (3), almost doubling back on yourself, to gradually rise up above the lake which is now on your left (4).
- You will come to a gate which leads into a small wooded area. After passing through this to your right are some steps (5). At the top of these you will see the tower. Follow the grass path to keep the tower on your right.
- This wide grass track leads to an area of parkland which is good for picnicking (6). Soon you will come to a tarmac path which will lead you through a gate out of the park (7).
- Follow the road to the left past Arundel Cathedral and into the town centre with Arundel Castle wall on your left (8).
- When you reach the mini roundabout by the bridge, turn left and walk back up Mill Lane to where you parked.
The numbered images below correspond to the above directions.