Although this walk can be enjoyed any time of day at any time of year, it’s particularly special on a summer’s eve with the sun going down (aim to start walking about an hour before sunset). It takes you on a loop around Highdown Hill, with spectacular views pretty much the whole way.
3.9 mi / 6.3km
Start / finish
The Square, Angmering
Various free options around Village Green
- From The Square walk up the High Street until the road bends off to the right.
- Leave the High Street (1) by carrying straight on, passing the Spotted Cow on the left, and then go left over the bridge that crosses the Angmering bypass.
- As you come off the bridge path, keep straight on, following the tarmac as it bends left, then left again, then starts to climb.
- When the tarmac bends up to the left, keep straight on (2), where the lane turns stony, and then turns into a path – again, keep going straight.
- This narrow path winds through lush greenery, offering intermittent views of the coast to the right. If you’re really lucky, you might see a badger at this time of day in the undergrowth down to the right.
NOTE: the above path is sometimes closed for repairs; if this is the case, you can turn left just after leaving the tarmac and get up the hill that way, then retrace your steps to get back down.
- When you reach a path junction, keep straight on (3), and after a short climb you’ll emerge onto open hillside.
- Ignore the steep climb to the left and keep straight on (4), with the brow of the hill on your left and the coast on your right.
- Keep straight on at the footpath sign, aiming for the small copse straight ahead, just beyond which you’ll find the Miller’s Tomb (5).
- Double back on yourself through the gate, but this time take the path to the right of the one you just walked, heading straight up to the top of the hill.
- Passing the trig point, follow the path straight down (you’ll be facing the sunset now), heading towards the (sail-less) windmill in the distance. Go through the gate (6) and keep following the path down, until you reach a sharp left (7).
- Follow the narrow path down between the fences, with the windmill on your right, and at the bottom turn right. Now you can retrace your earlier steps back to the village.
The numbered images below correspond to the above directions.